Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Oats and Pizza

Yesterday was a marvelous day! Brent and I did our weekly grocery shopping and came home with lots of new goodies! The weather was beautiful and everything was just... perfect :)

First of all, the BEST part of waking up is definitely a clean kitchen!!








Well worth it for me to clean it the night before, it made going in and making breakfast so much better! :) And then I had a great helper assisting me in putting my groceries away!


Since his lovely face appears in here often, this is Kenji. Brent and I rescued him from our local shelter a year and a half ago. He is very loving, playful, and enjoys turkey! He spends most of his days taking naps unless I'm in the kitchen, then he is right there at my feet (or on the counter, or in the fridge...). Perfect cat, in my opinion :)


I feel like I can finally be initiated as an official food blogger - I tried overnight oats! I have read about overnight oats on almost every food blog I follow (and that's a lot of blogs!) so I finally decided to try it for myself. For my mix I used a nearly empty jar of peanut butter (not nearly as exciting as a flavorful nut butter, but it's all I had).

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk
blob of almond butter
cinnamon

Honestly, I did not care for it. I just couldn't get over eating cold oatmeal, and it tasted extremely mushy. Oh well, I'll stick with my hot oats. :) Or cereal!


We really like cereal in this house. :D

Since we were out all morning running errands we had Mancino's for lunch. I had an 8" club and only about 3/4 of it, but it was delicious! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it.

For dinner I decided to be boring (and very unhealthy) and do pizzas. Kind of a make your own style - I used a pita for the crust, added pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. I am just not adventurous when it comes to pizza, I have tried veggies and I just don't like them. These were delicious! :)



For dessert I decided to get crafty and try a recipe for a fruit/veggie dip I had found.



1 package (8 oz.) fat free cream cheese
1 tbsp milk (I used vanilla Silk soy milk)
3 tbsp dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1/4 tbsp pumpkin pie spice

1. Bled the cream cheese and the milk in a food processor (or blender) until creamy, do not overmix.
2. Add in the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice and blend until it is all mixed.
3. Serve with your favorite fruits and veggies!

The dip itself was delicious! and it paired really well with the apple. I plan on trying it with some broccoli today, I will be sure to post the results. :) For a treat to myself I bought one of these to try:


I tried the orange mango motion flavor. It's mix was: 1 3/4 oranges, 1/2 mango, 1 3/4 apple, and a hint of banana. Overall, it is pretty good. Really thick like a smoothie, but it was still really sweet to me (again, I think my aversion to sweet beverages is brought on by my pregnancy).. and other than the price tag (this was ON SALE for $3!!) I would definitely recommend it to others.

Today will be a fun day spent in the kitchen! I have a lot of recipes I am dying to try, and I am feeling great! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment