Wednesday, June 9, 2010

New Adventures

Yesterday Brent and I ventured downstate and checked out some awesome grocery stores - Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market... neither of which have locations anywhere near us. However, we were quite impressed with what they offered so we are going to try and go down once a month (with a cooler) and stock up on some goodies!

Since we weren't prepared yesterday, we just picked up a few nonperishable items to try!

Almond Butter! I have been hearing about this stuff everywhere on the blogs that I follow, and I finally decided I needed to try it for myself. I picked up some Trader Joe's creamy almond butter - the only ingredient is raw almonds!


Mochi Green Tea ice cream balls - a delicious dessert served in Japan (this was obviously Brent's idea to buy).

Since these were ice cream, we cracked them open when we got back to the truck. They were ice cream balls coated with a pastry shell type thing. I was not a fan, but Megan and Brent ate theirs.

Vintage Orange Creme Soda - made with all natural ingredients (no high fructose corn syrup!) and also caffiene free!

These were delicious, but tasted a little too sweet to me. Unfortunately I am noticing that I cannot stomach sweet beverages right now (must be a pregnancy thing?) because I can eat chocolate, but I can't stand chocolate milk, juice, or other sweet beverage. hmph.

Since we were out all day, our options were to eat out. For lunch we had Panera (YUM!!!), a definite favorite of both of us, but the closest ones are at least two hours away.

For dinner, we stopped at Sonic. Terrible, I know, but I was craving chili cheese tator tots! and theirs are the best. I ended up eating all of my tots and only about half of my grilled chicken sandwich so maybe it wasn't too awful? :-) Besides, it's good to splurge every once in awhile.

Today has been full of cleaning, organizing, and rearranging the house (we got new couches!!!) so lunch was delivered in the form of Pizza Hut (it was just easier that way... ;)). Then Brent was off to work, so I treated myself to left over tacos for dinner, still just as delicious as they were the other day!

For dessert I made some oatmeal (yes, as a dessert!) :-)


The mix:
1/2 cup whole wheat instant oats
1/2 cup vanilla Silk soy milk
pinch of cinnamon
glob of TJ's almond butter

It was DELICIOUS! it tasted just like an oatmeal cookie. I think oatmeal is going to be my new favorite fun food... so easy to mix stuff with depending on my mood, plus a great ingredient to cook with!

And, the ALMOND BUTTER! soooo good! It is very creamy, and has a good drizzle consistency so I will definitely be using it as a new waffle/pancake topper to replace my usual peanut butter!

1 comment:

  1. Heather! I LOVE your blog! Jake and I bough some almond butter a while back but I wasn't a big fan, I guess I expected it to taste like PB. Maybe I just need to try a different brand. I love that the one you chose is just almonds!

    ReplyDelete