Thursday, June 17, 2010

Muffins!

I decided to get creative and go out of my realm of comfort. I made strawberry rhubarb muffins! I have never eaten or cooked with rhubarb, so this was a new experience for me. Strawberry rhubarb pie is Brent's absolute favorite, so I found this recipe and knew it would be a great treat for him for Father's Day!



I have yet to try one myself, but Brent says they are delicious! Success! :) I even had a great little helper...


I think he really just wanted some turkey. :)

Recipe! (courtesy of Michelle!)
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
3/4 cup chopped fresh rhubarb

Optional topping:
6 small strawberries, halved
2 teaspoons sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a smaller bowl, beat together the egg, milk and oil.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened, do not over mix.
4. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries.
5. Fill greased or lined muffin cups ¾’s full.
6. Place a strawberry half, (cut side down unless they will be eaten very quickly) on each, sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown on top.
8. Cool for 5 minutes, then move to wire rack.
9. Serve warm with a little optional butter, or rhubarb jam, and enjoy!

Be careful though, baking can take a toll on you..


Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment